Community Chorus call out: Be a part of The Suppliant Women!
26 Aug 2021
Photography by Stephen Cummiskey and trailer by Alex Raptatasios from the 2016 production of The Suppliant Women
***APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR THE SUPPLIANT WOMEN. THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO ATTENDED A RECRUITMENT WOKRSHOP***
Gulbenkian Arts Centre and iCCi at the University of Kent are recruiting participants for a Community Chorus for the upcoming production of The Suppliant Women – would you like to be a part of it?
★★★★★ “A timeless, fantastical production of colour, song, and movement” The Independent
★★★★★ “Remarkable…choral power unleashed” WhatsOnStage
★★★★★ “An epic, feminist protest song” The Guardian
We’re looking for people who:
- Want to work with a top professional creative team
- Enjoy singing, acting and performing
- Have a willingness to learn, enthusiasm and dedication
- Having an interest in the social and political themes of the play would also be great!
The Community Cast breaks down into 3 choruses as follows:
- The Suppliant Women: Chorus of Young Women aged 18-30 (Some singing and movement experience/ability required but doesn’t need to be seasoned performers.) This chorus is on stage for the majority of the performance and therefore will have the most intensive rehearsal schedule from Sept-Nov 2021 (mainly Tuesday evenings and weekends) and the production week from Monday 8th November 2021.
- The King’s Soldiers: Chorus of Men aged 18-35 (Some singing and movement experience/ability required but doesn’t need to be seasoned performers.) This chorus has a smaller role and therefore less intensive rehearsal schedule, mainly 4 weekend days and then the production week from Monday 8th November 2021.
- Men and Women representing the community: Chorus of the Community aged 18+ Ability to sing required – This chorus features at the end of the play with one main song.
“Don’t hold back, just go for it. You will have an amazing, transforming experience” – Margaret Crisp, Edinburgh Recruitment
Find out more about The Making of The Suppliant Women.
Find out more about The Suppliant Women performance at Gulbenkian
How to get involved:
We will be running taster workshops at the Gulbenkian Arts Centre on Saturday 11th & Sunday 26th September 2021, from which the Creative Team will select their choruses. For more information please contact email@example.com